This is an annual scholarship. Bookmark this page and check back each year!
If you have ideas on how to ease student debt, this is the scholarship for you!
- Be currently enrolled in a college or university or planning to enroll as a freshman for the 2017-2018 academic year.
- Be in good academic standing with your current educational institution.
- If under 18, have the permission of your parent or guardian to apply.
How to Apply:
- Write a 500-1,000 word essay on the following topic:
With presidential candidates calling for an end to the crushing burden of student debt, some higher education experts have again questioned the federal policy that makes it nearly impossible to discharge student loans in bankruptcy, especially at a time when student loans now comprise the second largest form of consumer debt behind home mortgages. Some argue that allowing the dischargeability of student loans in bankruptcy makes sense both as economic policy and education policy because, as a nation, we want an educated populace as well as the increased earning power and employment opportunities that accompany a college degree.
What are the pros and cons of allowing student loans to be discharged in bankruptcy? Explain your answer.
- Submissions should be in Microsoft .Doc or .Docx.
- Email your essay to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Essays will be judged on the following:
1. Demonstrated understanding of the issues raised
3. Quality of writing
4. The applicant’s demonstrated potential for success in a field related to law
Deadline: April 21
SEE ALSO: The Complete Guide to Scholarship Hacks